Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Newton and My Principia


My Mom and I spent some time learning about Sir Isaac Newton.  We studied his three laws of motion and did some experiments to test the laws.  Then I wrote everything I learned down in this handy dandy principia.


Here are the definitions you need to know to talk about Isaac Newton and his laws of motion.


Here are the three laws of motion:
1.  The Law of Inertia that states an object at rest tends to stay at rest, and an object in motion tends to stay in motion.
2.  The Law of Acceleration that states if you apply a force to an object it will move; the greater the mass of the object, the more force it takes to move it.  An equation that represents the law is force = mass (x) acceleration.
3.  The Law of Equal and Opposite that states for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction.


My Mom thought it would be fun for me to make a Facebook page for Isaac Newton.  I enjoyed coming up with the other pages I think he would "like" on Facebook: Gravity, Solar System, Being Different, Apples, Calculus, I Survived The Great Plaque, and Halley's Comet.

Sir Isaac Newton is famous for some quotes that I like.  My favorite is, "We build too many walls and not enough bridges."  But I also like, "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Ok, here are the videos of the experiments we did:

Law of Inertia - To show that a dime at rest tends to stay at rest, we put a piece of paper under a dime and then quickly removed the piece of paper.  The dime stayed put.  To show that an object in motion tends to stay in motion, we rolled a marble on the floor and it kept going until outside forces (friction, carpet, objects in the room, etc.) caused it to stop.




Law of Acceleration - To show that force equals mass times acceleration, we took a marble and a small wad of paper and dropped them from the same height into a container of flour.  The marble created more force because it weighs more and accelerated faster.


Law of Equal and Opposite - To show that for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction, we made rocket balloons.  When we released the air out of the balloon, it propelled the balloon forward on its track with the same force.



Peace Out -
Ollie, Mom, and Isaac

No comments: